Listening to and be aware of when your business is mentioned in the media is very important if you want to maintain brand. You know what? Business can actually do that through media monitoring. So, here’s a guide to media monitoring.
After sending out press releases and setting up press conferences, the next task now is to see how media outlets actually decide to report on your business. Tracking through media monitoring is a practice that has been done for a long period of time. In the past, when everything was still much-less digital, business did media monitoring manually by putting together printed media pieces that mentioned the business into a clipping.
These days, the scope of media monitoring has expanded. In addition to monitoring conventional media sources, like radio, TV, and print, the growth of Internet has forced business to explore online media outlets and (even) social media to monitor how they represent a brand, as well as how the public perceive it.
As reported by Signal AI, there are 7 benefits from keeping track of your business through media monitoring.
- Media monitoring will give your business an advantage of knowing and understanding your competitor: what they’ve been up to, their current campaigns, their strengths, and most importantly: their weaknesses. Exploit the knowledge for the benefit of your business, and you’ll come out on top
- When you decide to use the help of tools in doing your media monitoring, they reveal a lot of important data. This can include the actual reach of your content, your audience, etc. In short, you can get crucial and important measurements and utilize them for a more effective approach.
- Learning about current hype and trend is also another benefit from media monitoring. Knowing and joining the conversations on the latest trending topic can boost your business’ relevance and potentially increase exposure. However, don’t just jump into every conversation; take into account your brand’s message as well as your targeted audience.
- If you regularly monitor what’s being said about your business and brand, you can quickly related address unfortunate events. For example, complaints and wrong turns in campaigns. Being able to address and solve it immediately will help you retain and regain a good reputation.
- Besides acknowledging rather negative conversations about your business, you can gain the knowledge of what customers like about your products. Knowing what customers wish your products have is also possible through media monitoring. Such information is pivotal for you to improve your products to meet the demands.
- The rise of influencers has shifted how marketing works. As much as conventional media continues to be voice of the people, more and more businesses are now relying on influencers to, well, influence the public. Media monitoring will allow you to learn about influencers who fit your business and can help you increase engagement.
- When your business is acknowledged globally, media monitoring can be harder due to language border. However, don’t fret – some media monitoring tools now offer real-time translation to ensure you are in the loop of global conversations about your business.
With the many advantages it offers, keeping track of your business through media monitoring seems more pressing than ever. Add this to the ever-growing digital world. Therefore, hopefully this guide to media monitoring can help you comprehend its significance. Do it within or your organization or with the help of a public relations firm, your business will thank you.